This is surely the most famous controversy I’ve entertained thus far. People outside my circle have noticed and commented on this before. But I definitely think it’s worth exploring even more.
Take a listen to this sound bite and let me know which category you think this example falls into:
- This is a rip-off! Some bastard stole some other bastard’s jam!
- This is an homage. This is too similar. The artist is merely giving a wink and nod to a predecessor.
- This is a coincidence. Louis Daguerre and Henry Fox both invented photography independent of each other, after all. There are only so many ways to make music.
- This is an accident. Yeah, it’s probably inspired by the older piece, but they probably didn’t even realize it.
- You are smoking. Don’t even see it.
LED ZEPPELIN – “Kashmir” vs. COHEED AND CAMBRIA – “Welcome Home”
Tell me what you think, and then I’ll drop my two cents in the comments.