Okay, so you should know how this works by now. We got a good one.
Take a listen to this track, and let me know which category you think this example falls into:
- This is a rip-off! Some bastard stole some other bastard’s jam!
- This is an homage. This is too similar. The artist is merely giving a wink and nod to a predecessor.
- This is a coincidence. Louis Daguerre and Henry Fox both invented photography independent of each other, after all. There are only so many ways to make music.
- This is an accident. Yeah, it’s probably inspired by the older piece, but they probably didn’t even realize it.
- You are smoking. Don’t even see it.
OPETH – “Deliverance” vs. VIRGIL – “Will it Blend?”
Tell me what you think.